Snowie's New Block Shaver vs Fujimarca

Click here for topics regarding both block and cube shave ice machines!
mcurtis

Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:31 am

Hey all,

I am comparing between these 2 machines. Snowie Block Shaver vs Fujimarca MC-709SE v1 or v2.

I like the new snowie block shaver because of no blades to adjust, speed, ease of use, can use compressed cubes, can make your own ice and it looks like it makes SUPER fluffy snow... BUT its like $3200 bucks! :o Here is a video about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEhhByqAlGY

I am considering the Fujimarca MC-709SE v1 or v2 because the prices is $1400 or so, which is quite a bit less than the snowie.

I would love to hear input from you guys on what you think. The video pretty much explains the shaver. I just want to make a good decision as i need to order this next week. Any help is greatly appreciated!
snobear

Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:58 am

I purchased the Snowie Block Shaver right when it was released and it costed me $3600 with shipping. The machine still produces a sno cone. Nothing close to a fine shave like my swan does. It's very sensitive and pushes the blocks of ice down too hard on the blade and made a few of my blocks explode. They tell you to just tap the foot pedal lightly to get the shave, but its too sensitive and not ideal for a high volume location. You have to time out each tap. The machine will keep shaving on its own after each tap. Also, the cheese grater style blade it uses sounds awesome, but the texture is awful. I always ended up with chunks of ice in my cups. I even purchased a spare blade and tried again, still bad. The machine also draws way too much power and is very loud. I did a 30 plus people taste test in my home for friends and family with the Snowie 3000 and Snowie Block Shaver,but nobody was crazy about either one. They would be one time buyers that's it. I did another taste test with my Swan Si100 and everyone has been crazy over it all summer. There is a huge texture difference. I sold my Snowie machines and purchased two Swans. Snowie buildings are awesome, but the machines are sno cone producers,and not a light fluffy shave ice.

There's no FLAVORS like HTK!

TAKE MY ADVICE: SAVE YOUR TIME AND MONEY AND BUY A SWAN OR A HATSUYUKI (sp). VERTICAL BLOCK SHAVERS ARE THE WAY TO GO!
Last edited by snobear on Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
mcurtis

Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:10 pm

Snobear, you are my new best friend. I don't think i can thank you enough for that information!

A few things i want to ask you. Can i pm you my number or would you possibly mind me giving you a call to chat real quick. I am really stressing over the piece i "thought" i had correct :)

Thanks a ton, really.. you might of helped me really keep from screwing up!
ShaveIce

Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:51 pm

Thanks for that excellent review SnoBear. I was wondering myself how the Snowie block would stack up against a Swan or a Fuji. That answered my question. Mahalo
www.shaveiceshaveice.com
Forum for Hawaiian shave ice, shave ice supplies, shave ice flavors, and shave ice machines.
snobear

Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:39 pm

I forgot to add...

When you load the block of ice into the Snowie block shaver, there is a plastic piece that is suppose to act as a restraint and hold the ice into place. This makes it even more difficult to use, if your ice is a inch too big it won't fit and you'll be sitting there chiseling it away. I have a snoblock ice block maker and some of my blocks wouldn't fit. I never have this issue with the Swan though.

Feel free to post or DM me any questions...

Thanks
mcurtis

Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:37 am

Good to know.. I sent you a pm snobear with a few questions :D
Snowie

Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:31 pm

Hello all,

This is Aaron from Snowie Shaved Ice. I just had a customer show me this thread and I wanted to take a minute to talk about the concerns brought up here.

If you notice, this thread was from a year ago and it sounds like their purchase was even sometime before that. There have been a lot of changes since our first launch of the Block Shaver. The most important improvement that pertains to this thread is a speed control. You can now run your shaver as fast or as slow as you like. There was some mention of the blades producing ice chunks, but this concern really has nothing to do with the blade, but rather the speed at which they were shaving the snow. Granted, they did not have control of that speed at the time, but now they do. As the user mentioned, you do not want to use compressed ice if you are trying for perfect snow. I don't know if they were using compressed with our shaver or not, but that can definitely contribute to icier pieces being in the shave ice.

We did and do have a delay on the shaving. We do this on purpose, and this delay can also be turned off if you wish. But there is a reason for that delay. With block shavers, when you are shaving and your block goes from full on shaving to stopped, your blade can bury itself into the block. This can make it difficult for a shaver to begin spinning on the next shaved ice, especially if the ice has sat for some time. So the way our delay works is that it will not push that block into the blade any more, but the blade will continue to spin for a set time to prevent that bite. Even more importantly, it clears out all of the remaining snow in the chamber making it clear for the next shaved ice.

There was a follow-up concern on the pressure flaps. We now have multiple flaps that are very easy to adjust and/or replace. Once you have the correct flap for your size of ice, you never need to change it again, unless you change the size of block you are using. We have made this shaver so that it is able shave pretty much any block on the market. Our original intent was to have those flaps work for any size block, but there is some huge variance from the smallest to the largest block. Our solution is now alternate flaps which is a perfect fix.

Another note on this, shavers that spin the block of ice on a stationary blade, their blocks have literally come out of their housing and hit the workers in the face, sometimes breaking teeth. This cannot happen with the Snowie Block. That block is very much secure within that housing.

Now, there was also a comment on this shaver not being the one for high volume. I am here to tell you that there is no ice shaver out there that is better equipped for high volume than the Snowie Block Ice Shaver. I understand that the person who stated that was talking about the fact that they would have to tap the peddle and then wait, tap and wait, etc. You do not have to do that any longer. With the Snowie Block Ice Shaver, you can still serve a customer every 3 seconds. If that is too fast for your liking, you can slow it way down and then serve a customer every 9-or-so seconds. My point here is that with other block ice shavers, you are over a minute easy when serving a customer their shaved ice. This is a Huge deal. We have been developing the block for over 10 years before we ever released that first version. The world didn't need another block ice shaver, it needed a shaver that could produce incredible snow but maintain the speed of the snowie 3000 ice shaver. We have now accomplished that goal. Sure we had some hiccups in the first round, but we have far resolved those issues.

There was also mention that it drew too much power and was loud. The block shaver is now much more quiet than our first generation. It even has a smooth hum to it when you have that timing just right.

As far as the power that it draws, yes, we still pull a lot of power. Our shavers produce unreal amounts of shaved ice. One of the reasons for that, is that we put in high-end motors that really work and those motors require a good amount of power.

Thank you for your compliments on our buildings. We really take pride in all that we do and produce. I love forums and the ability for people to talk about their concerns and I love the ability that we have to resolve those concerns. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns. Thank you for considering Snowie.

Please visit us at www.snowie.com
email me at aaron@snowie.com
Phone: 801-268-2225
sluggish

Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:38 pm

Just what I'd the current draw and voltage required for the Snowie 3000? I'm considering one to complement my current setup. Always good to have a backup plan.
Michael_N

Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:52 am

Thanks Aaron from Little Snowie for giving a great explanation as to the negatives of the original Snowie's block shaver first edition release and how those problems have been corrected in your machine and now improved.

I've been researching various machines and reading this forum for tips & advice. The price for your Block shaver is quite pricey and that is a turn off especially when you are new to the Block shaver market. What I'm getting at is you are a virgin in a market with long time competition that produce quality, established block ice shavers for much less money.
sluggish

Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:01 pm

I have the swan shaver and while it does produce a nice shave, it isn't super fast and you do have to form by hand. What I like about the snowie is the speed and the little shaping cup. And the fact that there is no spinning block of ice. It's been a pain to get the block centered since they ale ways freeze with a bulge up top. If I can find better containers for freezing and maybe make my own shaping cup, the only thing to work on is the speed.