Buying Used Swan

Click here for topics regarding both block and cube shave ice machines!
IcedQueen

Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:01 am

Hi,

I found a used Swan SI-100 machine on craigslist and am going to look at it today. I asked if they have any frozen blocks to demo the machine, however they do not have any frozen as this was a concessions trailer that they ran during the summer months.

Is there anything specific I should be looking for to ensure the machine is a solidly running one? I will of course turn the machine on, but without a block to actually shave I'm assuming its hard to tell?

Thanks!
sluggish

Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:35 am

Why not freeze one yourself and bring it. It will be tempered by the time you get there. :D
ShaveIce

Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:39 am

Hi Iced, I would check to see what year the Swan is. If it is a pre 98 model you may have trouble finding parts such as covers. Here is a check list of what I would go through while you test the shaving of the machine:

1.) No gear grinding noises
2.) Check the pressure of the machine by raising and lowering the main shaft. If it is too soft, it means the brake/spring is bad.
3.) Check the blade adjustment knob, it has to turn and adjust smoothly.
4.) Check the base for rust or cracks
5.) If possible, open the head cover and open up the gear box. Check the gear's threading.

In the end it really depends on how much the machine is sold for. A machine that has worn out parts that is sold for cheap is usually a good deal since you can just replace the parts with new ones. As long as the machine is structurally good.
www.shaveiceshaveice.com
Forum for Hawaiian shave ice, shave ice supplies, shave ice flavors, and shave ice machines.