Some shave ice toppings that you can offer

Click here for information regarding Hawaiian Snow shave ice flavors as well as various Hawaiian shave ice toppings.
ShaveIce

Thu May 18, 2017 1:04 pm

I would recommend a refrigerator depending on how hot it is outside, however I have seen stores that just leave it on the counter (not even chilled) which is probably the worst way. In my opinion if you have a cooler with adequate ice, that would be sufficient.
www.shaveiceshaveice.com
Forum for Hawaiian shave ice, shave ice supplies, shave ice flavors, and shave ice machines.
Craig

Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:42 am

I like the idea of added toppings.

I just have one question.

I am about to start using a flavor station.
And I want to charge extra for the toppings.

How do I serve the ice. Let them put their own syrup on, and then have them come back for snow cap?
Or maybe I should just shelve the idea of toppings
ShaveIce

Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:16 am

Yes, that would be the purpose of the flavor station right? You let your customers pour their own flavors and they can come back to you for the condensed milk. Since the milk needs to be properly stored and chilled, I would not recommend customers just adding the sno cap themselves.
www.shaveiceshaveice.com
Forum for Hawaiian shave ice, shave ice supplies, shave ice flavors, and shave ice machines.
TWH

Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:53 am

Craig wrote:I like the idea of added toppings.

I just have one question.

I am about to start using a flavor station.
And I want to charge extra for the toppings.

How do I serve the ice. Let them put their own syrup on, and then have them come back for snow cap?
Or maybe I should just shelve the idea of toppings
I just added a flavor station to the side of my truck and had that same discussion with my wife. Since we have racks for 48 quart bottles on the truck anyway we decided that if someone orders one with a topping we will make everything for them instead of them using the flavor station.
Feito

Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:29 am

Late to the discussion. Hi. I am trying to get shaving this season and I would like to offer the sno cap but also fruit topping. Any advice please? I mean just get from can or is there a way to prep for shave ice?
Loopdan

Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:28 am

Feito wrote:Late to the discussion. Hi. I am trying to get shaving this season and I would like to offer the sno cap but also fruit topping. Any advice please? I mean just get from can or is there a way to prep for shave ice?
You can use sweetened condensed milk straight from the can, but some people add an ounce or two of simple syrup to thin it out a bit.

And use a squeeze bottle, of course.
Feito

Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:34 am

Thanks Loop. I'm guessing it should be kept on ice, right? What about fruit topping though? Anyone use that?
Loopdan

Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:48 am

Feito wrote:Thanks Loop. I'm guessing it should be kept on ice, right? What about fruit topping though? Anyone use that?
Cream topping should be kept on ice or in the refrigerator.

I don't use fruit toppings. I have a simple high-volume business and don't want to deal with the employee and health department issues that can come from serving fresh produce. If I ran a higher-end, lower-volume shaved ice biz, I'd do fruit toppings. We would prep all fruit at the commissary and keep it in NSF approved containers in a fridge on site. There would be zero washing or cutting allowed outside the commissary.