Syrup Mixing Directions

Click here for information regarding Hawaiian Snow shave ice flavors as well as various Hawaiian shave ice toppings.
dfl138

Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:45 am

It would seem to me that you still have an ice issue? Are you tempering your ice prior to shaving?
sweetparadice

Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:15 pm

I figured out the problem, when I was making the shaved ice I would leave the bag of ice out, which would cause part of it to melt, then I would throw it back in the freezer, when I would go to reuse it is when it wouldn't sink to the bottom.
The Chillin' Station

Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:13 am

Just to add my two cents...Typically syrups will penetrate any shave ice unless the snow is "packed" to tightly. After the cup is full, using your hand or a funnel, just "lightly" tap the snow down to allow it to breathe some and usually it will allow the sryup to absorb much, much better. Some thicker flavors like chocolate are a bit more difficult to get into the ice. If your syryups are cold and thick it will be more difficult as well. Try to get your syrups at room temperature at the time of pouring. When I know of a particular syryup that is hard to get to absorb into the ice, I will pour it it layers, a couple inches at a time to ensure the customer gets a good product. For us, chocolate is really the only syrup we have that problem with because we keep it cooler as we make it with real Hershey's syrup mixed with simple syrup. Hope this may help some as well...
IceMan326

Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:03 pm

Excellent tip Chillin ! Been doing the same as well. Works like a charm!
I love Shave Ice, period. :D
hunterlundahl

Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:25 pm

How much preservatives do you add?
TigersBlood23

Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:40 am

Do most of you use a 5 pound base or a 6 pound base?

Or something else?
classiccones

Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:43 am

We started our business towards the end of summer last year, so we were able to do one baseball tournament. My question is, for you mobile businesses, do you guys make a gallon of simple syrup and bring that with you and when you begin to run low you pour in the concentrate of the one you need or do you make several batches of each flavor?

Last year we almost ran out of a few flavors and thankfully we were close to home so I was able to run home and make some.

Do you have any suggestions? I'm just trying not to waste and have to throw out.

Thanks for the advice.

Also my recipe calls for 5 lbs sugar and 1/2 gallon of HOT water and 1 oz preservative. then 4 oz concentrate per gallon of simple syrup. Is that a good recipe or does someone have a better one? I use tap water and boil it.

Sorry so many questions, we are just really getting started and I don't want to ruin our name first rattle out of the box.

Thanks so much
mattream

Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:42 am

Your ratios are correct, but if you have any kind of volume at all, you're going to need to make larger batches at some point. Boiling several gallons of water at a time is going to be very inconvenient and time-consuming. I don't think boiling is necessary.
Matt
MaunaSnoa Shave Ice
http://www.facebook.com/MaunaSnoa
tberry

Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:39 am

In the original post, it says that the syrup will last 1-2 months in the fridge. I assume you are talking about if it is made WITHOUT preservatives, right? I have some syrup that has been in the fridge for 4 weeks and I don't see any mold, so it's okay to use?
HelenCampbell

Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:13 am

Thanks for sharing these tips and direction.