Solid Ice Block

Click here for questions and answers regarding the many shave ice supplies and accessories that you may use for your home or business!
luism3

Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:05 am

I live in Miami, I have to make my own Ice Blocks because I have not found anyone that makes those here. The problem is that the 6x6x6 blocks crack and look terrible. Any ideas on how to make solid blocks?

Thanks
dfl138

Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:56 am

How are you doing it now?
luism3

Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:29 am

I have tried plastic and metal buckets, I have filled out the container all the way to the top, I have fill the container a little bit at a time, same problems. I am thinking now on using a metal container with an insulated top, that way may be it freezes from the bottom up with no burst at the last moment of freezing.

Thanks
boyntonice

Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:07 am

Florida ice has a ice block it is 51/2 X51/2x15 and is 12lbs. they are out of Opa-locka, florida
IceMan326

Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:00 pm

51" !?!?!!? Huge block of ice! =)
I love Shave Ice, period. :D
luism3

Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:10 pm

I think he ment 5.5"x5.5"x15"
IceMan326

Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:49 am

Oh, okay that sounds about right.
luism3

Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:15 am

OK, It's still not perfect, but It is working better, It is a cheap and low maintanance way to make a good block of ice. Things that you need: Containers in the form of a cylinder(I use paint cans from Ace Hardware Stores, they are $2 and change and are coated inside, they don't rust), a round piece of packing foam, this foam is flexible, with a smooth finish, the ice does not stick to it, it is used to protect and to insulate packages or boxes. You fill up the container and then place the foam on the top where it ill float. If you want to cover the top of the container it will work even better, this way you are making sure that the water is freezing from the bottom up, since the ice will be forming there first, the bottom of the container will not deform or bulge, the last area to freeze is the top part of the water that is in direct contact with the foam, under the pressure, the foam keeps on bending, the top of the ice should not crack. I take out the block of ice and with a nife I flatten the top a little bit, this end does not have to be perfectly flat, it needs to be good enough for the theeth of the machine to get a good hold of. In a small freezer I am making 16 blocks of ice at once.
Kianakai

Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:25 am

I have used 3 different types of containers. The best out there in my opinion is from iceshavers.com Their ice buckets are a perfect fit for Swan and Fujimarca. Clearances for this machines are 6 inches in height. These buckets are 6 inches in height. Just fill it up close to the top (leave enough space for expansion during freezing). I use commercial chest freezers I bought from Sam's club (I have 2). I have had no problems in cracking (I probably made about over 200 buckets). I have used filtered tap and lately arrowhead water....still no cracks or breakage. Here is the link to purchase the buckets:

http://www.iceshavers.com/store/Gallon_ ... tails.aspx

Good Luck!
IceMan326

Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:40 pm

Hey they look like those COSTCO VANILLA ICE CREAM buckets I've been savaging! Yes, they do work really well since they have the ability to flex during the freezing process.