ABOUT THE TRUCK

Click here for questions and answers regarding the many shave ice supplies and accessories that you may use for your home or business!
BruceSannino

Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:23 pm

I put this question in a post last week. I only got one response and while I appreciate the one, I really would like more feed back. I like the idea of gutting a small motor home, (under twent-five feet) building it out and putting a wrap around it. There are lots of good points. Plenty of interior volume. Fresh water and waste water tanks are built in and plumbed. Easy to modify, already wired, generator and eletrical source switch already installed. Plenty.of room for a triple sink. I might even preserve the shower and toilet. How handy would that be!

Here's my concern. It's big. How much of a constraint will that be. I've had two shaved ice stands, one trailer and one permanent kiosk. My next effort is going to be events. I've never worked events and haven't even attended many events. So I'm worried about not getting into events because my rig is too big. I haven't found out how long the Kona, Snowie or Tikiz trucks are, I'll get that info tomorrow for comparison.

SO WHAT DO YOU THINK???
ShaveIce

Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:28 am

Bruce, having a rig that big will cause problems since many events charge you based on the size of your tent and set up. Very few events will let you just drive up a mobile home onto the fair grounds since it just simply takes up too much space, it is also unsightly. Imagine if 2 or 3 dozen vendors park their huge trailers or bus onto the fair ground, how would that look. I think the only places that would take in such vehicles are food truck events or eat the street type of deal. You can also park it on private lots to sell shave ice.
www.shaveiceshaveice.com
Forum for Hawaiian shave ice, shave ice supplies, shave ice flavors, and shave ice machines.
BruceSannino

Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:34 pm

Thanks for the reply Shaveice. The motor home I have in mind is 22'. I checked today and the Tikiz truck is a 350 Ford chassis, 23'. The Snowie Express is a GMC 250, 20'. I didn't hear from Kona. After I asked, Mr Rupp gave me an ear full about Kona's self serve flavor station patent. I'm no longer concerned about patent infringement. Snowie is moving to a smaller GM truck, the Transit. The motor home looks like a brick. A full wrap will run towards six thousand bucks. All the shaved ice trucks have body modifications that break up the "truck" lines but it will take a lot to make it look like anything but a motor home with lipstick on it. Tomorrow I'm going to figure out what it would cost to paint it white and cover it with vinyl graphics. Still going to need some props to breakup the brick aspect.

Thanks again Shaveice. The dialog helps a lot.
TWH

Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:43 am

I just completed my shaved ice truck. It is a Nissan NV 2500 High Top and I believe it is 20 feet in length. It is large enough to have the sinks and all other equipment that the health department requires to be classified as a self sustained unit. It has a PA system, 4 outside televisions (for videos and graphic menu boards) and 5 deep cycle marine batteries so I should never run out of power.
Attachments
truck side.jpeg
BruceSannino

Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:20 am

Very nice looking truck. Thanks for the pictures.
ShaveIce

Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:05 am

TWH wrote:I just completed my shaved ice truck. It is a Nissan NV 2500 High Top and I believe it is 20 feet in length. It is large enough to have the sinks and all other equipment that the health department requires to be classified as a self sustained unit. It has a PA system, 4 outside televisions (for videos and graphic menu boards) and 5 deep cycle marine batteries so I should never run out of power.
Such a nice truck, how much did that run you?
www.shaveiceshaveice.com
Forum for Hawaiian shave ice, shave ice supplies, shave ice flavors, and shave ice machines.
BruceSannino

Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:05 am

The motor home shaved ice stand is like communism. A good idea that will never work. To big and to ugly. I bought a mid eighty's Chevy M-20 step van. The van is in really good shape and the price was very good. I've collected a bunch of pictures of trucks, stands and my own past two stands. I plan to take it all along with pictures of the van to a graphic artist and get a design and price worked up for a base coat color and vinyl graphics. For power I'm going with a generator. All the 115 VAC equipment is off the shelf and cheap enough to replace rather than fix when necessary, even the generator. I can keep the generator quite enough not to interrupt sales. It's definitely self serve syrup. I don't know yet how many flavors but I'm thinking at least ten. On the one hand I want to attract customers and create excitement but I don't want children standing around staring at the menu. I have good problems. Lyle Rupp told me something interesting yesterday. I like the tube man to attract attention. I called to ask if Snowie had a "Snowie" tube man. Lyle said they did some research and found that tube man signs annoy people. They have a nine foot Snowie wind sock.

ANY THOUGHTS, IDEAS, LAYOUTS OR SUGGESTIONS ARE WELCOME AND REQUESTED!!!?
TWH

Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:44 am

ShaveIce² wrote:
TWH wrote:I just completed my shaved ice truck. It is a Nissan NV 2500 High Top and I believe it is 20 feet in length. It is large enough to have the sinks and all other equipment that the health department requires to be classified as a self sustained unit. It has a PA system, 4 outside televisions (for videos and graphic menu boards) and 5 deep cycle marine batteries so I should never run out of power.
Such a nice truck, how much did that run you?
The engineer in me over built this compared to what was needed (5 batteries, back up cameras, inside and outside security, 4 tv monitors, truck mounted flavor station with custom made shelving to make it easier to refil the bottles, updated sound system, and a few propriatary items, etc). But that being said it was still cheaper than the Snowie bus and Kona vehicle and (in my opinion) better laid out than either. It also has a section for me to house 72 Quart bottles and make snow shakes and Lemonade.
BruceSannino

Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:57 pm

Really nice shaved ice truck. You commented briefly on your layout. Would you care to say more about that.

Buy low and sell high.
TWH

Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:58 am

BruceSannino wrote:Really nice shaved ice truck. You commented briefly on your layout. Would you care to say more about that.

Buy low and sell high.
Well it also has a refrigerator, freezer, storage, space for a cash drawer and stand for ipad, a three compartment sink and a hand washing sink, a roof air conditioner unit, wireless internet and is equipped to run with a satellite system (for the tvs) should I choose to use it.