Where to buy syrup in Canada

Click here for questions and answers regarding the many shave ice supplies and accessories that you may use for your home or business!
canuck

Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:17 am

Does anybody know where to buy good quality syrup in Canada? I bought some earlier this year from Koldkiss ($8 for a LITRE of concentrate, plus the concentrate is twice as powerful as Snowie, Ralph's etc. so really you're getting two) and got a friend to pick it up, but with the extremely low Canadian dollar and outrageous shipping, brokerage charges (thanks UPS), it will cost me around twice as much as I paid for it earlier this year :o
jayzconcessions

Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:42 pm

I agree! I need to find a place as close to canada as possible!!! I use to purchase shave ice flavours from our local concessionaire company here but being so inconsistant and taking 6 months to receive my order I need to find a place that doesnt charge the same amount of shipping as your order.
jayzconcessions

Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:13 pm

To conclude, there is no Canadian supplier of shave ice flavors
ricoboxing

Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:49 am

Yup, I wait till I go to the states and order a bunch of gallon jugs of concentrate.
DerekinCanada

Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:46 am

Ditto. Although we pick ours up in the States, and there are no Canadian manufacturers that I can find, there are a number of Canadian suppliers who resell Gold Medal stuff. You can find a list of Canadian dealer locations at http://www.gmpopcorn.com/canadian-dealers.cfm. As far as I can tell, none of them have online prices or ordering - you have to contact them for a quote.
For example, we have MackMariplex here on the East Coast in Stellarton NS. http://www.mackmariplex.com/concession-supplies.
They have a PDF Concession Supplies Catalog (the Gold Medal catalog with their name on it) at http://www.mackmariplex.com/sites/defau ... x_2017.pdf, which lists concentrates in quart and gallon sizes.
The one time I contacted them, I was given prices that were higher than I could get from the US, so I didn't buy.
However, the Canadian distributors might be useful when you need something quickly and don't want the hassle of dealing with shipping from the US, which is generally more than the cost of the goods.
Other services we have used are shipping goods to a holding warehouse near the border, where they hold it for around $5 until you get there to pick it up, and reshipping companies such as Shipito.com where you ship your goods to your assigned US address and they then reship it to you in Canada using a number of methods to keep the cost down.
The other issue is getting stuck with big customs brokerage fees. There are ways to self-clear your own goods instead of paying the ridiculous fees from UPS and other companies. It takes some research, but it can be done.
jayzconcessions

Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:10 am

Too bad those Canadian suppliers only sold "Hawaii's Finest" flavors, as they are not a good product and not many flavor options. I still have to order from 1-800-Shave-Ice and its funny how my order is 200.00 and my shipping fee is 195.00!!!!!! Crazy!!!!
DerekinCanada

Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:00 am

Our local restaurant supply company sells a few flavours of RTU syrup, but we use eight flavours and are a tent and table biz with limited carrying capacity, so we make syrup with sugar water and concentrate as we go, and want to keep prices down, so that's out for us.
We have also made syrup in a pinch using a dram bottle of LorAnn candy flavourings from Bulk Barn and some food colour and sugar water, but at almost $2 for a bottle of flavouring to make a litre of syrup it gets expensive, and the food colour adds another step. It's a useful way to meet a special flavour request on short notice though.
We are also starting to run into hotels in the US that are adding a processing charge ($15) when we ship goods to them while visiting the USA, but it's still cheaper to pick up down there than ship to Canada. It's too bad the Canadian market is too small to have our own concentrate manufacturer.
ShaveIce

Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:54 pm

We do ship to Canada via Ground services which may be cheaper. We can also ship to a destination near the border to do a pick up. For us, $300.00 is free shipping to the US so coming down to pick up something is still worth it than to buy $200 and pay $195 for shipping.
www.shaveiceshaveice.com
Forum for Hawaiian shave ice, shave ice supplies, shave ice flavors, and shave ice machines.
Craig

Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:47 pm

When I order I have it shipped to the US and drive across the border to pick it up
DerekinCanada

Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:15 pm

Shipping to the border works if you are close to the border. In our case, it is a 4 1/2 hour drive each way, plus a $46.50 (return) bill to cross the bridge to our province, plus a $5 fee to store the product at the border. We have done it when we were heading in that direction anyway, but a standalone trip just to pick up syrup concentrate would likely cost us about $100, and it would be cheaper to ship it directly.