Hawaiian Shave Ice Pointer #2 (Packing Spoon vs Hand)

This section will tell you the basics on how to make a good Hawaiian shave ice! Please feel free to ask questions you may have regarding local shave ice and shave ice in general.
ShaveIce

Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:41 pm

Pointer #2
Hand packing vs spoon packing vs mold packing

There are various ways to make a shave ice depending on the texture you wish to achieve and the speed. Traditionally, shave ice is made by hand using slow patting methods with the hand to pack the ice. Hand packed ice is finer in texture because when done so correctly it does not "smoosh" the ice into the cup. However of the 3 packing methods, hand packing would require the most training. For inexperienced shave ice operators, hand packing could be daunting and tedious. It could also result in wasted time and ice. We will discuss how to hand pack shave ice in another chapter.

Spoon packing is the second way to pack your shave ice. Shave ice is usually shaved onto a large plate and the operator then uses a metal spoon to scoop the ice and pat it into shape on the cup. This method would be the fastest way to pack ice while maintaining a decent texture quality. Spoon packing is the best method for beginners as well as shave ice stores who wish to produce as fast as they can while not sacrificing must quality.

Mold packing is a relatively new method of packing where shave ice is made by using a mold where the user either stamps onto the ice or where the user pushes the ice into the mold like the Snowie machines. This method is usually not recommended for producing shave ice since it compromises texture the most. When the ice is stamped or pushed, it greatly compresses the ice making the ice chunky and hard. However, we understand that for customers who have very long lines this may be the only option available to them. In this case we would recommend them to avoid compressing the ice too hard into the mold so that the ice can retain a bit of its texture.
www.shaveiceshaveice.com
Forum for Hawaiian shave ice, shave ice supplies, shave ice flavors, and shave ice machines.
Makapiaschlumpf

Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:26 am

I've been practicing hand packing and can't wait for your post on that.
Donnak1961

Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:53 pm

Im new int he business and I am sooooooo glad I ran across this forum! I am finding answers to questions that I have needed MUCH! I hand pack mine but may try to spoon method to see if I can save time, as suggested. Thanks for all these tips of the trade!
capitalist

Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:59 am

I usually use hand packing because it creates a better consistency, however when it gets busy and there are 20 people waiting in line, I normally just spoon pack it. When I spoon pack, I just lightly pat the ice on the spoon without smashing it too hard.