Manual Vs. Electric??

Click here for topics regarding both block and cube shave ice machines!
Wake Island

Manual Vs. Electric??

Postby Wake Island » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:31 am

Hello Everyone, I Have Not Bought Anything Yet. Just Really Want Some Input From People Who Are In The Business. I Love Getting Educated On Things I'm Interested In.

I Prefer a Hand Crank Block Ice Shaver. The Less Electricity Used Is Better For Me. What Is The Negative Aspects of a Hand Crank. I Don't Mind Hard Work. I Dislike Waiting For Someone To Fix Things In My Control. I Might Find Myself Disassembling An Electric Block Shaver Under Warranty To Rectify The Problem In a Case Of Failure.

Are Manual Crank Block Shavers Really So Bad? or Should I Go For An Electric One?

capitalist

Re: Manual Vs. Electric??

Postby capitalist » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:46 pm

Hi Wake Island,
To be honest, aside from the laborious work, manual ice shavers aren't that bad. I would say the biggest draw back is the texture. The blades on the manual machines are not able to cut as fine and precise as a electric shaver. However if you are not really picky about texture, hand crank shave ice machines do just fine! I would say the texture is close to that of a cube ice shaver. I personally have a manual shaver that I use to carry to the park and beach...it is lighter, smaller, and doesn't use electricity.

Wake Island

Postby Wake Island » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:14 am

Thank You So Much!
I Was, Wondering About The Blade Output.
Although I Like Doing Things The Old Fashioned Way.
I Think I Should Look Into Purchasing a Manual Crank, just For Back Up.

ShaveIceSupply

Postby ShaveIceSupply » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:37 am

Hi Wake, could you please be more specific about "blade output"? The manual shaver would be a great back up machine in case you don't have a generator or if something happens to the machine. Manual ice shavers are pretty much problem and maintenance free. Thanks
Providing quality shave ice products in Hawaii and all over the mainland for over 20 years. Visit http://www.shaveicesupplies.com.

For current deals and offerings, visit the promotions and prize giveaway forum at www.shaveiceshaveice.com!

Wake Island

Postby Wake Island » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:48 am

Even Though I Forgot To Ask The Difference Between The Manual Blade Performance, and The Electric Blade Performance. Capitalist Answered My Question About The Manual Ice Shavers.

I Just Stated As An After Thought, That Given The Difference Between Electric, and Manual I Was Meaning To Also Ask About The Blade Performance. Which Capitalist Did Explain.

I Guess It Would Be Like Trying To Pump Up Your Bike Tire, and Trying To Write Your Name In Cursive At The Same Time. With An Electric Ice Shaver, It Spins For You So You Have More Control Over The Blade, and How It Performs.

With The Economy Bad, I Can't Just Buy Anything, and Hope For The Best. I Need To Do My Homework On The Device That Best Fits The Job.

Anyway You Guys Are Great, Thank You For The Input. Keeping Track of All This So When It Comes Time To Spend The Money I Will Be a Smart Shopper!!

Kim

Postby Kim » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:44 pm

Hello Wake, I believe capitalist and shaveicesupply pretty much summerized the differences between manual and electric. Glad that we can be of help, and don't hesistate to ask any questions!
K. Lee
kim@htkhawaii.com
808-841-6622

milkjunkie58

Postby milkjunkie58 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:18 am

I am on a budget for start-up of an umbrella cart on the sidewalk of a high foot traffic store in Georgia, so I chose a manual because I don't want to depend on electricity plus a lot of people are attracted :P to the old fashioned hand crank. I found the plastic umbrella cart next to a dumpster behind a high school driving around one day and I got an upright freezer free through freecycle.com and purchased round ice molds to make my own ice. I have a full time job already so I just do this part-time on weekends to make some extra money so the manual should do the trick. I will transport the cart, supplies, shaver and coolers of ice back and forth from my enclosed garage to the store. No expensive trailer to deal with. The manager of the store who is letting me set up on the sidewalk (no space rental required) on weekends wants to be my assistant on Sunday afternoons. A win-win situation. I tried Wal-Mart and a few dollar stores but they all said no. But that's ok.

IceMan326

Postby IceMan326 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:49 pm

Congrats! Good luck to you :D
"With Ice and water by your side..!"

aaron28

Postby aaron28 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:03 am

A good thing to consider is how much ice you actually have to produce. If you're not planning on shaving ice all day to keep fish cool or something of that nature then you might be alright. I used to run a fish stand at a flea market and I used to need a machine to keep the ice coming. I had a machine that produced a little too much and I used to have to dump a lot of ice when the machine would clog up. So, just consider how much ice you actually need. I also used to give away ice when the summer was too hot.

sanu

Postby sanu » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:44 am

Good luck. :D

Return to “Shave Ice Machines”