Problems freezing my own ice

This section will tell you the basics on how to make a good Hawaiian shave ice! Please feel free to ask questions you may have regarding local shave ice and shave ice in general.
SlushyJamez

Problems freezing my own ice

Postby SlushyJamez » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:32 pm

Hello all. I just received my Ice Cub shaver yesterday and made my first shave ice. I’m having problems cracking my ice molds. I’ve killed two so far. I’m using regular unfiltered tap water, my molds are small mixing containers bought at Home Depot with a lid snapped on. Is this caused by freezer temp being set too low? I read opening the door too often can cause this, however a mold I just filled last night is cracked this morning. The door was not opened during the night. Any light you could shed on this would be great!

BTW... is there an ideal freezer temp?

IceClouds

Re: Problems freezing my own ice

Postby IceClouds » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:22 pm

I use to freeze my own blocks in buckets and the molds would crack if you filled the bucket with to much water. The ice is going to expand as it freezes and if you didn't leave it some room its going to crack your mold. Or they are just really cheap buckets and are not designed to freeze water in them. We got our buckets on amazon. Labeled 1 gallon food grade buckets with lid. Also the slower you can freeze the block the better. This will help the block not crack in the freezing process. My freezer was typically at 10 Deg.

SlushyJamez

Postby SlushyJamez » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:50 pm

I bought some 2qt containers at the dollar store and the molds themselves have not cracked. The ice inside however did. If I store food in the freezer as well, is 10°F too warm?
Attachments
C09CB1C4-FE97-4B05-B9DE-17CBA7974D4D.jpeg
3E305EB6-4088-46B4-9501-22FC0D540C62.jpeg

IceClouds

Postby IceClouds » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:24 pm

I could definitely be wrong with this...but i would think your blocks are cracking because they have no way to "flex" when freezing.Those look like hard molds. We froze ours in flexible food grade buckets so they were able to expand. Never used a hard container to freeze though!

Return to “Shave Ice Tips and Pointers”