Snowie Block Ice or Southern Snow?

Click here for topics regarding both block and cube shave ice machines!
snoopsshavedice

Tue May 29, 2018 5:28 am

Hello! I am new to the business and just getting started opening a shaved ice trailer. I have purchased the Snowie block ice shaver but upon some more research and reading im worried I didn't buy the right machine... Does anyone have any advice or experience with the snowie block ice shaver? I'm considering switching machines to the Southern Snow Ice Shaver... Thank you in advance!!
IceClouds

Tue May 29, 2018 9:54 am

Yes, yes i do. I bought the snowie ice block shaver a couple months ago and just sold it on eBay a couple of weeks ago. The machine is super easy to use and i love that it can hold 10lb blocks but it made the worst shaved ice. It was more of a softer crunchy snow cone then shaved ice. I now just break my 10lb blocks apart and use my trusty swan which always gives me the shaved ice i want my customers to have. I have never used the southern machine though.
ShaveIce

Tue May 29, 2018 11:36 am

Snowie blocks, Swan, and Southern Snow are different types of machines. Southern Snow is more of a sno ball sno cone shaver. Snowie's blocks are more of a shaved ice/sno cone type of machine. Swan's are more Hawaiian shave ice.

If you want to sell Hawaiian styled, believe me, a slower shave is better and more authentic. If you just want to sell "shaved ice" then a Snowie is fine. It depends on how you advertise your shave ice.
www.shaveiceshaveice.com
Forum for Hawaiian shave ice, shave ice supplies, shave ice flavors, and shave ice machines.
Loopdan

Tue May 29, 2018 12:33 pm

The Japanese/Hawaiian style machines are easier to get a good shave with, but if you learn to finesse the New Orleans style machines, you'll get just as good a shave and it'll be much much faster.
TWH

Wed May 30, 2018 12:35 am

I have tried both and for me there is no question. I choose the Snowie Block. When using the slower speed the quality is just as good plus I can make one in seconds instead of almost a minute per. If you are only selling a small number of shaved ice then go with the cheaper Swan but if you are in business to make money, I say the Snowie Block is the way to go.
haolegirl

Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:44 am

Loopdan wrote:The Japanese/Hawaiian style machines are easier to get a good shave with, but if you learn to finesse the New Orleans style machines, you'll get just as good a shave and it'll be much much faster.
Hi Loopdan, I'm new here and wanted to ask whether you've used a "Hawaiian Style" machine extensively? I'm leaning towards a Fujimarca or Swan and like that they are very user friendly and will produce a fine shave regardless of the level of experience of the operator. For someone new to the business, this seems to be a safer bet than trying to learn how to finesse a New Orleans style machine. How difficult would you say the learning curve is?
Loopdan

Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:58 pm

haolegirl wrote:How difficult would you say the learning curve is?
A couple hours.

If you have good quality blocks and brand new blades on the New Orleans style block shaver, a five year old child could turn out product as fine as a Swan can produce. But that's the rub... Ice blocks vary in quality and blades dull. And it doesn't matter how good you are with those machines, if your ice sucks or your blades are dull, your product will not be very good.

Unless you expect high volume, you are fine with a Swan.
haolegirl

Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:15 am

Thanks Loopdan. Ice is a variable for me right now so I'll stick with my plan of purchasing a Fuji or Swan :D
ShaveIce

Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:15 pm

Swan machines are the easiest to use of the bunch. It's not the cheapest but it is safe and relatively traditional. You want to remember that Hawaiian shave ice is all about packing style, texture, and the experience. It's not about getting a shaver and cranking out ice. Any shaver can do that. A good texture, a good technique, and great flavors is what you want.
www.shaveiceshaveice.com
Forum for Hawaiian shave ice, shave ice supplies, shave ice flavors, and shave ice machines.