Pros/Cons Hatsuyuki HF-500E versus Swan SI-100E

Click here for topics regarding both block and cube shave ice machines!
LazyRs

Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:18 pm

Seen a few posts dance around the subject or derail. I am considering going with one of the two to improve the texture of my product (currently use a Hatsuyuki HC-8E Cube Ice Shaver), would really like to know the pros and cons of each and recommendations. Anyone with experience with these? Any advice and info would be appreciated. Thanks!
Kim

Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:32 am

Hi LazyRs,

I think both, Hatsuyuki HF500E and Swan SI-100, are very good machines. Any block shaver will shave finer ice than a cube shaver. As ShaveIceSupply put in another post, you should pick something you are comfortable with. I strongly recommend visiting a shop that allows you to get your hands on these machines so you can get a sense of feel for them.

One of our clients was very happy with his Hatsuyuki HF500E for many years before switching to our popular Fujimarca MC709SE. His decision had nothing to do with its performance. He made the change due to service availability. Hatsuyuki HF500E has a more complicated design so it was more time consuming when it comes to service. On top of that, there was also an added shipping cost from Japan when we had to special order parts for him.

Hatusyuki HF500E has two noticeable differences when compared to a Swan SI-100E. (1) Its blade adjustment knob sits underneath the shaving plate. (2) It has a safety feature that requires the machine guard to be completely closed before operation.

Unfortunately, HTK and Hawaiian Snow Nevada do not carry Hatsuyuki HF500E. If you're in Hawaii or Nevada, feel free to come in to our shop check out our Swan selections. Our staff is very knowledgeable and helpful when it comes to this machine.

I hope this helps. If not, feel free to give us a call. We will be more than happy to assist you.
ShaveIceSupply wrote:Simply put, buy what you are comfortable with. [...]

What I do look for is
1.) Support
2.) Easy of access to parts
3.) Knowledge of distributor on their machine
4.) Reliability
5.) Shaving quality and texture

K. Lee
kim@htkhawaii.com
808-841-6622
LazyRs

Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:17 pm

Kim, Thank you so much! Very informative. I live in Texas, based on what I have been able to glean from various posts on here, the Fujimarca MC709SE is out of the question for my locale. I was very intrigued by it though. Most places in my town that use those type block shavers use the Swan. I just have been pleased with my Hatsuyuki HC-8E Cube Ice Shaver so was kind of curious about the Hatsuyuki HF500E versus the Swan. With the Hatsuyuki HF500E having the blade adjustment knob sitting underneath the shaving plate, does that make it easier or harder? Where do the parts for the Swan come from?
Kim

Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:41 pm

I don't think the blade adjustment knob on the bottom will affect the shaving quality or the ease of usage. It works just as well being on the bottom or on the side. It's comes down to your personal preference.

Swan machines and parts are from Japan. We carry Swan Si-100E so we have most of the parts available. As for Hatsuyuki HF500E, we normally have to special order parts when someone brings it in for service.
K. Lee
kim@htkhawaii.com
808-841-6622