HATSUYUKI HC8E NOISES/PROBLEMS

Click here for topics regarding both block and cube shave ice machines!
IceMan326

Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:52 pm

I am not sure if any covered this subject on the HC8E / HC27 cube shavers. But here are some problems that I've had and troubleshooted in the past. If you got something else that I haven't listed, feel free to input yours. Mahalo!

1. Noise coming from the machine while the machine is in operation with or without load.

Problem:
One or more of the bearings could be worned out. To check, manually turn the shaft from top of the ice chute. If the knocking sound continues. One bearing is worned, if the shaft has heavy resistent, both bearings are worned.

Solution:
Changing both bearings by removing the front panels, side panels, shaft pully, belt, and shaft. Purchasing new bearings from http://www.shaveicesupplies.com . and changing them out. I do recommend changing them out every few years depending on how often you use the machine, because just like a car, the bearings will be harder to remove and becomes rusted and fused to the shaft. Really difficult to remove afterwards..been there, done that..don't want to do it again... :cry:

2. Turning the on and off switch, a weird clicking sound. An intermitent problem with the machine stopping while the switch is in the ON position. Doing the MANUAL BEARING TEST as described above, and everything works properly, shaft spins freely with no knocking sound.

Problem: *sry not an electrical person so i'll try to describe it the best way I could*
Posible motor problem. There is a spring loaded machanism that activates the motor for it to spin. That unit could be worned out and need of replacement.

to be continued...... ;)
I love Shave Ice, period. :D
IceMan326

Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:08 pm

UPDATES : Power Switch: I've noticed the power switch on the machine failed on me twice after numerous on's and off's during the busy summer months.

Solution: I got myself a few footpedals to do the trick! :D
I love Shave Ice, period. :D
RandiLangepro

Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:45 am

Is there a video on how to change bearings or belts on this machine? My machine is making a "whizzing" sound at the end of every shave ice I make. I'm trying to figure out what that sounds may be, I'm guessing bearings or a belt... not sure though, can't find any how to videos on YouTube about this for my Hatsuyuki hc-8E, help!
ShaveIceSupply

Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:36 pm

Randi, belts are relatively easy to change. All you got to do is open the bottom of the machine by removing the metal screen. You will see the belt, pry it off and pop in the new one.

Bearing change is a bit more difficult. We usually don't recommend customers doing it themselves unless they know what they are doing and have the proper tools.

The whizzing is most likely a bad bearing causing some grinding with the plastic protector that is underneath the head cover.
Providing quality shave ice products in Hawaii and all over the mainland for over 20 years. Visit http://www.shaveicesupplies.com.

For current deals and offerings, visit the promotions and prize giveaway forum at www.shaveiceshaveice.com!
RandiLangepro

Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:31 pm

Strange update....

So I was starting to freak out a bit since my income is obviously directly related to that machine functioning properly. I called my main machine and supply company and they said that there were easy signs to diagnose:

1) Thunking/Tudding/Thumping/Knocking Sound = 1 Bearing Bad if the machine still spins
2) Machine won't spin at all could be two bearings or the belt.

My machine was working and was not making a thumping sounds, more of a whizzing zipping sound at the end of every shave ice.

The tech said he thought it was the motor. A new motor can be ordered for around $350.

At that point I decided I was going to learn to take it apart my self mainly to check the belt and bearings for myself. So I did. I completely disassembled the entire thing and saw nothing odd. I put it back together and the problem vanished. No more zipping whizzing sounds. So I'm not sure what it was and everything looked fine.

Lesson learned though... so I bought a backup machine ;)