Newbie- make or buy ice

Click here for questions and answers regarding the many shave ice supplies and accessories that you may use for your home or business!
Savsblabla

Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:56 am

Hi guys I just ordered a new shaved ice trailer. It comes with the Southern Snow machine...... anybody have it? Like it? Tips? .......

It has an onboard freezer so I thought I would make ice in it. But I won’t always have power right? Like when I’m driving and when I’m parked where there is no power. So do I make it at my commissary or do I buy it? I’m near Phoenix by the way.
Loopdan

Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:24 am

The Southern Snow machine will produce snow just as soft as the Hawaiian style shavers, but it does require some "touch" to get it just right. For high volume businesses, there is nothing faster.

If you buy ice locally, make sure it isn't compressed ice, which will not give you a good consistent shave.

Good luck!
IceMan326

Fri May 03, 2019 8:26 am

Yes that is correct. Do not buy compressed ice. It's cheaper, but the quality is just not there. I get mines from Honolulu Ice Company here in Honolulu which is also HTK.

If you purchase or outsource the ice. Make sure you are getting it from a reputable place. Your biggest concern is the "WATER" they are using to form your ice as well as the molds they use to make them and how they are handling your ice. Are they using high end filtration systems? Are their molds sanitized or some sort of scheduled set to do so?

Why would this matter? Well, for one. Your customers are consuming it and a lot of it so you want to make sure those ice that you are using is the best you can offer.

I would make my own, but the equipment is just too costly. I believe it's around 10,000 each or something. I rather just buy mines locally and the guys at Honolulu Ice always take care of me.
I love Shave Ice, period. :D