Filter water or not?

Click here for questions and answers regarding the many shave ice supplies and accessories that you may use for your home or business!
offgridman

Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:26 pm

I am trying to decide if we should purchase a water filter system to filter the water for our shave ice blocks or not. What are your thoughts? Any recommendations as to what type of filter system should do the job?
We have city water and it is OK in quality but does have chlorine in it.
Thanks,
Offgirdman
shaveicelove

Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:32 am

I'm not sure where you are located offgridman, but I would HIGHLY recommend using filtered H2O for your ice blocks. Although the shave ice may be ok to consume, I've experimented with tap water and it leaves a distinct after taste. The only way to find out is to try. Sorry, I'm not too familiar with different filtration systems but perhaps someone else from the forum can help :) Aloha!
admin
Site Admin

Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:58 am

I would recommend RO(reverse osmosis) filtration for your block ice if you have a choice as to which filtration to get. RO removes most of the impurities as well as minerals from your tap water source leaving a better tasting and clearer ice block.
Brian

Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:17 am

Okay so what about the water for the syrups? RO as well? Got a particular unit to recommend?
ShaveIce

Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:38 am

For the syrup water, you can use any type of filtered water is fine, but if you have RO it would be better and cleaner.

The thing with RO is that most non-commercial models can produce around 50 gallons a day, which in some cases may be insufficient. Commercial models are very pricey and usually not practical for smaller businesses. Depending on how much water you plan to use, sometimes it might be worth it to purchase water from a water store. In california, RO water only cost around $2-3 for a 5 gallon jug which would be more than enough for regular operations. If you don't have cheap commercial water in your area, you could buy small RO units for around $200 some dollars. Here is a site that we normally go to when we replace our filters :

http://www.waterfilters.net/

I believe they have a RO unit for around $250 and has a capacity of 50 gallons.
www.shaveiceshaveice.com
Forum for Hawaiian shave ice, shave ice supplies, shave ice flavors, and shave ice machines.
offgridman

Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:53 am

Thanks, I looked at the RO link. I will be purchasing that one.
Much appreciated. I know from our favorite restaurant that the water tastes better they serve because it is filtered. My wife and I enjoy it. We both drink a lot of water :D
I would feel good about serving water/ice that has the chlorine removed also.
Offgridman
IceMan326

Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:42 am

That is awesome! I totally agree with you guys, we have the 4 stage system installed with single prefilter, 3 stage to remove all the junks, and final stage with a UV to eliminate the remaining impurities. Although it isn't the greatest in the world. It works perfectly fine and the water taste just like bottle water!
:mrgreen:
I love Shave Ice, period. :D