Making my first Shave Ice

This section will tell you the basics on how to make a good Hawaiian shave ice! Please feel free to ask questions you may have regarding local shave ice and shave ice in general.
dfl138

Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:34 pm

I made my first Shave Ice last night just to test. I have the block shaver that works great and the ice came out very snowy. I think I must have hand packed it to tight because the syrup did not penetrate all of the ice and left it white in the center. Is that a correct assumption because like I say the ice itself was just like snow. Trying to get it down before my first season LOL...any tips appreciated...thanks
Daryl :D
IceMan326

Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:31 pm

Yes, you are correct. :D
I love Shave Ice, period. :D
sylvainborabora

Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:14 pm

sometime if you use tape water to make the ice you can have this kind of problem that sirop stick on ice and don't penetrate at all into.if it's the case i suggest you to use mineral water.:)
milkjunkie85

Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:21 am

Or you can just pour in some flavor when the cup is only half full of snow. then fill up the cup with snow and finish off with flavor. that way it insures flavor from top to bottom. but you are right dont pack down the snow too firm or it will reject the flavored syrup and run off the sides.