How to have longer shelf life for syrup.

This section will tell you the basics on how to make a good Hawaiian shave ice! Please feel free to ask questions you may have regarding local shave ice and shave ice in general.
capitalist

Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:24 pm

I know that alot of shave ice vendors have had problems regarding syrup shelf life. Regular syrup without preservative roughly have a shelf life of 1-2 weeks depending on your exterior temperature. On hot california summers, my syrup only last for a week at most so I usually just make it fresh every event that I have and approximate I plan to sell. After some research here are some things that I found that help syrup have a better shelf life..
1.) Boil sugar
Boiled sugar kills the bacteria inside the sugar which helps extend shelf life. Unboiled cane sugar is usually the culprit for fast spoilage.

2.) Use filtered water
Depending on the water drinkability in your city, many shave ice vendors use either tap or filtered water. Filtered water is usually cleaner and contain less microbes which can cause spoilage. You may use filtered or boiled water.

3.) Preservative and citric acid
Preservative as the name says help preserve syrup. You usually mix preservative with a bit of citric acid to help extend its shelf life.

4.) Make sure all your bottles/mixing utensils are clean
The cleaner it is, the less microbes and bacteria it contains

5.) Refrigerate
By refrigerating the syrup, it will slow down bacteria growth which helps extend shelf life.

By following the above procedures, I was able to extend the shelf life of my syrup for over 2 month without any flavor loss! If there is anything else t hat helps shelf life, feel free to share!
watss

Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:40 am

Thanks for the tips!
Donnak1961

Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:03 pm

Interesting! Excuse my newbie-ness but how can you tell when your syrup has gone bad?
capitalist

Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:02 am

This really depends on the flavor. Flavors such as banana, lemon or light colored flavors are fairly easy to catch. If you see mold floating in the syrup, then that pretty much means it is bad. However for darker flavors, I usually do a taste test. If the flavors taste sour or off, it is usually spoiled.
IceMan326

Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:14 pm

Capitalist is correct. I just want to add that I try not to taste it yet as much as possible. So I usually smell it and if it produces a bad odor. I usually play it safe than sorry and dump it. If I really am unsure of it's quality. I would do the taste test last.
I love Shave Ice, period. :D