ice temperature

This section will tell you the basics on how to make a good Hawaiian shave ice! Please feel free to ask questions you may have regarding local shave ice and shave ice in general.
cran

Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:06 pm

Hi,

I'm trying out a new Hatsuyuki block shaver machine, and am concerned the shave ice I'm making compresses too much when I put it into my mouth (to the point where it feels like a small hard block in my mouth), even though before I put it in my mouth it's a nice fluffy consistency. (Imagine taking snow in your fingers and compressing down really hard until the snow is firmly packed to the point of ice - that's what the shave ice is tasting like.)

Is there a reason for this, or does this happen for all shave ice? Is there a way to avoid the compression to hard solid when the (previously) fluffy ice is consumed? Is it because the block ice I'm making is not cold enough? If so, what temperature should the ice be frozen at before tempering it for 5 minutes and shaving it?
dfl138

Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:01 am

I freeze my blocks at 10 degrees and then temper them until they get glossy
IceMan326

Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:01 pm

That is true! Maintain at constant 10-20 degree as well =)
I love Shave Ice, period. :D
snonewbie

Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:14 am

Hi All, Newbie here

I have a question about how you keep your ice molds? If I start out flea markets, and I don't have a trailer, how could I keep my molds at 10-20 degrees? Would a cooler do this o.k.? Or would I need a push cart type freezer to do this? Looking for the most economical way to start this business and then buld up from there.
Any help you guys could give me would be much appreciated
dfl138

Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:53 am

I have igloo coolers that work just fine for my ice blocks..the trick is to pull blocks out before you need them to temper them. Depending on how long they are in the colloer they may need to be pulled...Daryl
Kianakai

Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:19 pm

I use 2 huge coolers that I have bought from Sam's club. I am at a farmer's market every Sunday from 830-3pm. My Ice stay frozen until I pull them out to temper (sweat) first. Good Luck!
charlie1

Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:50 am

Can anybody tell me what I did wrong ? Tried to practice making my own ice with a stainless steel mold and when I went to check it ,it was a total disaster ! It was cracked all over : (
Kianakai

Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:24 pm

hmmmm....I have been making ice for about a year and a half and never had any cracking. I do use plastic containers and stainless steel as well. I use Arrowhead water and use chest freezer (bought from Sam's Club). I have used max settings and also 1/2 freezing settings on the freezers. I do however never use the freezers for anything else and I never open it or disturb it until it is frozen solid. Try not to open the freezers until it is fully solid and maybe try a different filtered water. Never temper ice forcefully (ie: using running water). Let it sweat on its own for at least 5 to 10 min. Hope it works out...don't give up =)
crazyviet

Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:21 pm

What's the fastest way to temp the ice,I don't want my customer to wait for ten min,because I forgot to take the ice out to temp?
Kianakai

Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:09 am

I'm at a farmers market, in the morning I lay out a couple of buckets to temp. When I start using them, I always have a couple of buckets already temping. Just gotta stay ahead of the game.