DC Battery Question

This section will tell you the basics on how to make a good Hawaiian shave ice! Please feel free to ask questions you may have regarding local shave ice and shave ice in general.
Kani-Kei Shave Ice

Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:52 pm

Aloha All, new to the board and excited to be starting Kani-Kei shave ice with my wife in Western Canada. We are getting all of our supplies together, and planning our mobile set up, and 2 question keeps popping up. We have decided to go with the Swan 100Se block shaver for our machine. We are planning like everyone to be as mobile as possible and wish to run off of a DC battery. Our question is what AH size do you find is enough to get you through a day of working? Some of the locations we will be working at do not allow generators so I would like to be able to run the machine for a day with out recharging. Deep cycle marine batteries come in all kinds of AH ratings so what are all of you using? We do not have a trailer yet and will be working out of a tent set up to start with. We think we have a good layout and plan for our tent, but a chest freezer is not going to be possible. So do any of you have any recommendations for coolers that will hold a good quantity of ice? There are many out there that will keep ice frozen for several days but would love to hear opinions from people that have experience. Mahalo in advance, and we hope to be posting more soon.
dfl138

Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:00 am

I use a 12v deep cell battery for my trailer that runs lights, water pump & shaver. I used to have to swap batteries throughout the day but I installed a Diehard battery charger that also maintains the battery charge level even when in use and I no longer have the need to change the battery at all. We operate daily from 12-9 and have even done non stop events making shave ice as fast as we could with no issues using this charger. So that would be my recommendation it makes a big difference!!
Kani-Kei Shave Ice

Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:08 am

Awesome thanks for the info, any idea on the AH rating on the battery? And also what do you use for a charger for that battery? There are just so many options out there, real world experience is always appreciated, thanks again.
dfl138

Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:54 pm

700/550 amps and the charger is a Diehard
finstalker

Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:25 pm

@ df138 What powers the charger?