shave ice price

This section will tell you the basics on how to make a good Hawaiian shave ice! Please feel free to ask questions you may have regarding local shave ice and shave ice in general.
Makapiaschlumpf

Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:38 am

How much are you all charging for shave ice? Do you do multiple sizes?
capitalist

Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:05 am

I use to charge around $2.00 when I use the 8oz paper cups. However once I converted to using the plastic cups I charge anywhere from $2.00 to $3.50 depending on the event and which size I use. Here is the price I b ase off of:
Small flower cup: $2.00-$2.50
Medium flower cup: $2.50-$3.50

For private fundraisers or smaller events I usually charge less, however for big carnivals or outtings I normally charge more.
ShaveIce

Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:58 pm

Just like capitalist said, it really depends on your event, location, and what you wish to make. Some shave ice stores here in Hawaii sell a small plastic cupped shave ice for $1.50 here but others can sell it upward of over $3.00.
www.shaveiceshaveice.com
Forum for Hawaiian shave ice, shave ice supplies, shave ice flavors, and shave ice machines.
Makapiaschlumpf

Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:51 am

Thanks for the info guys. I'm selling them for $1.00 for a regular paper cone cup. I live in a low income area and am aiming at refreshing the kids and adults that can't afford much.
watss

Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:10 pm

now that i'm thinking of introducing the flower cups, i might start selling them at $2.50 instead of $1.25. i think it's a reasonable price. the most expensive shave ice i've ever seen was $8 in hawaii. now that's just rip off!
MPartyThings

Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:52 pm

being that we're just slowly starting off we are looking at around $1.75 1st one and each additional is a $1.00 for the same person! But then we will be offering various flavors and styles that will be refreshing with a twist! ;) :lol:
capitalist

Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:21 am

I agree, usually you don't charge as much when you first start up. Got to try provide incentives to draw people to your location. However once business picks up and you have a stead flow, you could slightly increase the price, but make sure you have the quality to back it up!
HaoleGirl

Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:36 am

Would anyone be willing to share some pricing tips for a mobile shave ice stand? I'm interested in doing corporate events, trade shows, block parties, schools, etc. I would think that at these type events, the sponsor would pay a set amount to have me there, I'm just not sure what a reasonable rate would be. I would guess that doing someone's pool party would be a different price than a corporate gig or school event. Also, would you set a cap on the number of shave ices? For example: 2 hour school carnival for X dollars up to 500 shave ices?

I am also interested in doing fundraisers for youth groups, scouts, etc. Does anyone do any of those where you donate $1 from every sale, or is % of profits better?

Thanks so much in advance for ANY help with this!! I appreciate it!
Barbara
ShaveIce

Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:44 am

I would normally charge different pricing depending on: event, size, flavors you bring, and time. Alot of people do a preset amount too as well. They will charge a certain rate for a certain amount of cups they are expected to do. For example, for private events that aren't fundraising, you may charge lets say $500 for 500 cups.

For fundraisers, I would say it would be best to charge them a certain rate than to donate a $1.00 or a percentage. Hope this helps!
www.shaveiceshaveice.com
Forum for Hawaiian shave ice, shave ice supplies, shave ice flavors, and shave ice machines.
Litespeeds

Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:35 am

Do you actually make any money if you sell a shave ice cone for $1? I feel if you are using an ice block shaver, you should not charge anything less than $2.50.

Without factoring in the cost of the ice block shaver, has anyone actually added up all the costs that goes into producing a medium shaved ice cone? Let's say you buy 300 medium flower cups, 1 box of straws, 4oz concentrate syrup which you need to spend time to mix with 5lbs of sugar to make 1 gallon syrup. By the time you add all the costs together and figure out how many shaved ice cones you can make with the 1 gallon of syrup, how much would you have spent into making each shaved ice cone?

Of course the cost could increase if you buy ice blocks vs making your own. But let's just get a general idea.