Using a hand ice shaver

This section will tell you the basics on how to make a good Hawaiian shave ice! Please feel free to ask questions you may have regarding local shave ice and shave ice in general.
k0zakinio

Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:23 am

Hi everyone, recently had the idea of creating a business in the UK with shave ice (maybe just the summertime since how bad the weather is here) and I'm in the process of making a few things and testing out flavours and ways to shave the ice, I was considering going down the route of hand shaving instead of using a machine. I have a hand shaver, and have tried shaving on a block of ice and seem to having some problems getting the consistency right. The ice either just shatters into many pieces or doesn't go into my ice shaver at all and flies beyond the block of ice.

I'm using this shaver - http://pics.mexgrocer.com/images/50409-87174.jpg
It has an adjustable blade length.

Does the ice have to clear in order to shave well? I just froze it over night.

I'm not sure how many people have gone down this route of shaving ice, but I thought I'd put it out there and ask for some help because I've become a bit unstuck.

Thanks,
Andy
shaveicelove

Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:27 pm

How large is the block of ice you're using? Traditionally, I believe the block has to be quite long to get the right consistency. And, yes, I also think that the ice must be tempered (clear) like you mentioned.
Kianakai

Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:19 pm

I agree with ShaveIceLove..... need a long block of ice.....temper it (let it sweat a little---meaning, let it sit for a few minutes, do not shave it fresh off the freezer).....adjust blade to its finest setting......hand shave away!