Hawaiian Shave Ice Pointer #3 (Ice)

This section will tell you the basics on how to make a good Hawaiian shave ice! Please feel free to ask questions you may have regarding local shave ice and shave ice in general.
ShaveIce

Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:42 pm

Pointer #3
Ice?

I have had alot of customers ask me about the type of ice to use, and if ice affects texture. Normally for people who makes shave ice for home use, I would recommend them to use home made ice. Home made ice like the name states is ice made from molds and freezed in your freezers. However if you plan to make shave ice commercially I would normally recommend commercial block ice from a ice factory. Commercial block ice is recommended because:
1.) Sanitation- Ice houses are required to have a certain standard regarding sanitation. For example, Honolulu Ice Company follows a multiple point inspection on both their equipment and ice for any possible contamination before the ice is sold. This process is very important because not only does it provide health safety for your customers, it also affects liability. If any customer gets sick from eating the shave ice, and the ice was found to be the cause, it would be the ice house which will be held responsible rather than yourself.

2.) Hardness- Commercial ice is generally freezed more solid than home made freezer ice. A more solid block not only means that the ice is able to last longer outside the freezer but also reduces its chance of cracking while shaving, which causes alot of wastage.

3.) Water- When your ice is bought commercially, it should be made with filtered water. Filtered water is generally softer than tap water which will affect texture to a certain degree.
www.shaveiceshaveice.com
Forum for Hawaiian shave ice, shave ice supplies, shave ice flavors, and shave ice machines.
capitalist

Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:44 am

Interesting enough, I never knew ice made such a difference. Thanks!
tikigirl

Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:19 am

help, our ice blocks keep cracking! I am now trying the boil water 1st method. We will see. We are freezing in a chest freezer. in plastic tubs. I even tried using a pyrex container thinking it would freeze slower. still cracked. What are we doing wrong? TikiGirlShaveIce@comcast.net
capitalist

Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:38 pm

Cracking? Is it cracking when you take it out of the mold, in the freezer, or on the machine?
Trimir

Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:42 pm

capitalist wrote:Cracking? Is it cracking when you take it out of the mold, in the freezer, or on the machine?
same problem
Kim

Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:08 pm

Hi, I think I can help you with the ice cracking problem. To prevent ice from cracking, try not to open and close the freezer door frequently throughout the freezing period. The opening and closing of the door causes temperature differences which causes the ice to freeze improperly thus causing the cracks. The temperature differences also causes the mold to expand which cracks the mold. If possible, try freeze the ice without any other products in the freezer (ice cream, groceries, etc.).
K. Lee
kim@htkhawaii.com
808-841-6622
rdrunner

Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:54 am

I have heard of an ancient hawaiian secret of adding a little bit of sugar to your water when freezing your own molds. I think it was about a tablespoon for a regular size mold. Has anyone else heard of this method and what is the consensus?
ShaveIce

Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:27 am

Adding a bit of sugar helps the ice become smoother which in turn does help produce a finer texture. If you don't mind the sticky water on your machine, it is actually pretty good idea in terms of producing a finer texture.
www.shaveiceshaveice.com
Forum for Hawaiian shave ice, shave ice supplies, shave ice flavors, and shave ice machines.
kathleenp980

Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:51 pm

ShaveIce² wrote:Pointer #3
Ice?

I have had alot of customers ask me about the type of ice to use, and if ice affects texture. Normally for people who makes shave ice for home use, I would recommend them to use home made ice. Home made ice like the name states is ice made from molds and freezed in your freezers. However if you plan to make shave ice commercially I would normally recommend commercial block ice from a ice factory. Commercial block ice is recommended because:
1.) Sanitation- Ice houses are required to have a certain standard regarding sanitation. For example, Honolulu Ice Company follows a multiple point inspection on both their equipment and ice for any possible contamination before the ice is sold. This process is very important because not only does it provide health safety for your customers, it also affects liability. If any customer gets sick from eating the shave ice, and the ice was found to be the cause, it would be the ice house which will be held responsible rather than yourself.

2.) Hardness- Commercial ice is generally freezed more solid than home made freezer ice. A more solid block not only means that the ice is able to last longer outside the freezer but also reduces its chance of cracking while shaving, which causes alot of wastage.

3.) Water- When your ice is bought commercially, it should be made with filtered water. Filtered water is generally softer than tap water which will affect texture to a certain degree.
Thanks for the post.
Hi guys, Im a newbie. Nice to join this forum. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sun May 15, 2011 3:32 pm

depending on the business making your own ice can be a challenge.
I have a vending business in Washington and we make our own ice at the house, but to do this we had to first get the house inspected by a state official. He looked at where be poured the water, and froze it, mostly just looking for cleanliness. I know that is some areas you are required to purchase commercial ice but would the rules change if you were to purchase a commercial block freezer? and then have a special area for all the prep work