Hawaiian Shave Ice Pointer #6

This section will tell you the basics on how to make a good Hawaiian shave ice! Please feel free to ask questions you may have regarding local shave ice and shave ice in general.
ShaveIce

Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:29 pm

Solving shaving consistency problems on a block ice shaver

In this topic, I will discuss the possible remedies towards shaving issues in block shavers. Over the years I had heard many various complaints that deal with either ice being too coarse, ice does not shave, or the ice shaves inconsistent. I will list the most common issues and provide the solutions, if there are any other issues, feel free to add! Thanks

1.) Shave ice is too coarse even on fine settings.
- Solution: Change or resharpen blade

2.) The machine is on, and the ice is spinning, but there is very little ice coming out.
- Possible Solutions: Raise the blade using the black blade adjustment knob.
Check if blade is sharp, if not sharpen or replace with a new blade.
Check machine pressure. If you have to hold the handles down to shave the ice, your tension spring needs to be changed.
Make sure the ice is thawed.

3.) The ice jumps alot while spinning.
- Possible Solutions: Make sure the ice is placed evenly on the shaving plate.
If the core of the ice is too cold, sometimes it will cause a "nipple" to form in the center of the ice while shaving. This is caused by the temperature difference between the exterior and interior of the ice. A nipple forms while shaving, which causes the ice to jump and wobble. You may solve this buy using a 3/8' drill but and drill a half inch hole in the center of the ice prior to shaving. Drilling the hole will prevent the nipple from forming.
Your worm shaft may need to be changed.
Pully may need to be changed.

Warped shaving plate due to age.

4.) Shave ice is very sticky and powdery. Hard to mold and control.
-Solution: Temper the ice for around 5 minutes prior to shaving.

5.) Ice always cracks or breaks apart easily.
-Solution: The tension on the machine may be too tight, it would need to be readjusted.
www.shaveiceshaveice.com
Forum for Hawaiian shave ice, shave ice supplies, shave ice flavors, and shave ice machines.
ParadiseIce

Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:15 am

How do you properly temper the ice?
ShaveIce

Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:23 am

To temper the ice properly, let the ice sit or "sweat" it outside for roughly 5 minutes. Don't temper too long, that causes the ice to become too soft and moist which will cause a poor shave. Depending on the temperature of your environment, anywhere from 5-10 minutes should be fine.
www.shaveiceshaveice.com
Forum for Hawaiian shave ice, shave ice supplies, shave ice flavors, and shave ice machines.
BrainFreeze

Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:47 am

I use the Fujimarca 709 and its works very well!! Sometimes when I load a block of ice onto the plate and secure it down with the jaws, a little water will drip onto drip tray. I always temper my ice 5 minutes or so in 74 degree room temperature. Possibly am I tightening the ice down too much or tempering too long? Thanks.
ShaveIce

Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:14 pm

Hi, a little water melt is normal. This is caused by the tempering of the ice as well as the ice touching the shaving plate.
www.shaveiceshaveice.com